My (almost) annual tradition of picking the top 10ish albums I bought (or discovered) in the last calendar year continues… behold!
- Ty Segall – Twins (Drag City)
Ty released 4 albums in 15 months. That’s how long it takes most bands to write a song.
- Band of Horses – Mirage Rock (Columbia)
- Bad Sports – Kings of the Weekend (Dirtnap)
Lo-fi 70s punk from Denton, Texas. Technically released in 2011. Sue me.
- Charles Bradley & Menahan Street Band – No Time For Dreaming (Daptone)
This one’s from 2011 too but goddamn if Charles doesn’t have more soul in his little finger than the Billboard R&B Hot 100 combined. And plenty enough to last us through 2012 with his film.
- Heartless Bastards – Arrow (Partisan)
- Joel Plaskett – Scrappy Happiness (MapleMusic)
- The Jolts – 8% (Sudden Death)
- King Tuff – S/T (SubPop)
- Mount Carmel – Real Women (Siltbreeze)
- Jeff the Brotherhood – Hypnotic Nights (Warner Bros.)
- Neil Young & Crazy Horse – Americana (Reprise)
- Takeshi Terauchi – Nippon Guitars (Big Beat)
I’m a sucker for surf rock. Especially Japanese surf rock. Props to RedCat for the introduction.